Saturday 30 March 2013

APRIL PRODUCT FOCUS

So, I thought it might be fun ( as well as focusing me to use some of my stash better) to start a monthly 'product focus'. I'll post a project a week using what I'm focusing on, plus top tips and techniques (and of course where to buy - if you've not already got it!)

It might be bit of hardware - boards; punches; dies.
Or it might be software - stamps; CD crafting; special papers
 
And although it's not quite April, I couldn't resist an early play and post.
 
PRODUCT FOR APRIL IS: HOUGIE BOARD
 
This brilliant bit of hardware is the baby of Kay Rutter. I came across it at a show about 3 years ago and never looked back. There's rarely a project I make that doesn't involve this green board and pretty much every commission I have for Creativity Magazine uses this cool bit of hardware.

 

What's Great About It?

In a nutshell is takes all the measuring and guess work out of projects. Have you ever seen a project in a magazine or on line with scoring measurements and you have to get out your ruler and embossing tool - well no more!
I whip boxes up in no time. And the embossing fun you can have is endless.
 
It comes with an amazing little score tool which has flexibility so it bends with your paper rather than rip through it.
The board has inches one side and centimetres the other.
 
TOP TIP: Whenever you score your card on the Hougie always turn it over and score again. Kay calls this the 'Hougie trick'. Honestly, it means that you'll always get the cleanest crease on your folds. Try it in mirror card which is the ultimate test for me - it works like a gem :-)
 
How much does it cost? On their website it's £24.95 but have a look at the one which comes with Book 1 as it's £29.95 a great buy.
 
To help, Kay has brought out 3 project books. They are jam packed with ideas and projects and all different. I'll be doing some of these throughout April.
 

Here's the first one: Tea Bag Gift Bag

 
 
This fab little bag is from Project Book 3. It's not just for tea-bags though. Pop a gift card in the back or tickets to a show or cinema. You could even make up your own 'voucher' for a friend; maybe babysitting or cooking dinner.....
 
 
This is the side view so you can see how easy it would be to add a few goodies into an acetate bag and secure into the overall gift bag. Maybe a few chocolates.... yum yum :-)
 
 
The sentiment comes in a much larger set and is available from 'Lili of the Valley'.
 
 
 
The flowers are paper pieced - a technique that means you stamp onto patterned paper and cut out. This little flower stamp came free in my latest edition of 'Simply Homemade' And the leaf is a woodware punch.
 
Go and check out the Hougie website and if you've got any questions or any views on Hougie then get in touch. I'd love get you all 'hougie' converts. Spend more time creating and less time constructing that's what I say!
 
Oh yes, I nearly forgot, there's a fab Facebook group on the go for hougie fans. Type in 'hougie idea and help page' into your facebook and ask to join the group.
 
Til next time: Happy Hougie'ing
 
Teresa xx
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment